I, Ashu M. G. Solo, filed the following:

1. Civil rights case against the City of Saskatoon (Mayor's Office) and Councillor Randy Donauer for prayer recitations at government organized events

2. Code of Conduct complaint against Mayor Don Atchison for potential online campaign advertising violations

3. Civil rights case against the City of Saskatoon (Saskatoon Transit Services) for promoting holidays from only one religion on city buses

4. Human rights complaint against the City of Saskatoon (Executive Committee) for retaliating against me by not reappointing me to the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee and not appointing me to another civic committee or board

5. Human rights complaint against the City of Saskatoon (City Solicitor’s Office) for retaliating against me by trying to deprive me of my right to directly communicate with members of City Council and by telling employees of other City of Saskatoon departments to not talk to me

6. Human rights complaint against the City of Saskatoon (Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Office) and City of Saskatoon (Living in Harmony Ad Hoc Subcommittee of Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee) for retaliating against me by not considering my submissions to the Living in Harmony Contest

This site contains my media releases, some case documents, emails to City Council, etc.

I don't waste my time arguing with opponents.

The backlash makes me much more determined to fight against bigotry and shows the need for these civil rights cases, so I'll be filing more civil rights cases. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Monday, February 25, 2013

MEDIA ALERT: Executive Committee retains Christmas messages on buses and I will proceed with my civil rights complaint to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission



From: Ashu M. G. Solo [mailto:amgsolo@mavericktechnologies.us]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:56 PM
To: amgsolo@mavericktechnologies.us
Subject: MEDIA ALERT: Executive Committee retains Christmas messages on buses and I will proceed with my civil rights complaint to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission

Dear Media,

The City of Saskatoon’s Executive Committee, which is composed of the mayor and city councillors, is retaining the Christmas messages on buses and not doing anything about including messages for holidays from other religions.  Therefore, I will proceed with a complaint to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission.  I will file the civil rights complaint on Monday, March 4, 2013. 

March is the City of Saskatoon’s Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Month.  By filing the complaint in March, this will highlight the hypocrisy of the City of Saskatoon about respecting cultural diversity.  On one hand, they spend a lot of money on events promoting respect for cultural diversity.  On the other hand, they retain Christmas messages on buses and won’t even include holiday messages for any of the other over 10,000 religions.  Government actions like this make people mistakenly think that this is a Christian city and Christian country. 

The Executive Committee had referred this issue to the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee.  Representatives on the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee had really different views about what to do regarding my complaint.  They couldn’t agree on a recommendation for the Executive Committee.  Therefore, the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee decided to take no action on my complaint and simply send their comments from their last meeting to the Executive Committee, so the Executive Committee can make a more informed decision.  Comments from the last meeting of the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee can be seen in an advisory committee report in the Executive Committee agenda at
http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/City%20Clerks%20Office/Boards%20and%20Committees/agendasandminutes/Documents/agendas_2013/a_ex_250213.pdf.  Note that the advisory committee report from the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee does not include comments from their deliberations during a private retreat in January 2013.  The Executive Committee decided to simply receive this advisory committee report and not take any further actions on my complaint. 

I think the Executive Committee caved in to the public backlash.  I think they didn’t consider including messages for holidays from other religions because they realized that it’s impossible to cover them all.  It’s impossible because there are over 10,000 religions, 150 of which have one million or more followers.  This doesn’t include branches of each religion.  These numerous religions were documented by David Barrett, as can be seen at www.adherents.com/misc/WCE.html.

I’m going to see if I can amalgamate my prayer recitation complaint and Christmas message complaint into one case, which will keep costs down.  I believe that I can do this because both have to do with religious discrimination and both are against the City of Saskatoon, but the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission will determine if the complaints can be amalgamated into one case.  Because I’m attempting to amalgamate the Christmas message complaint and prayer recitation complaint into one case, this will delay the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission from proceeding to mediation with the prayer recitation complaint and will delay me from giving them authorization to do so by signing their form. 

Best regards,

Ashu M. G. Solo